In the world of technology, there are a lot of options to choose from when it comes to upgrades and new products. There are some that you can do yourself and others that will require professional help. But what happens when you need more ports on your computer? In those cases, expansion cards may be your best bet, but which one is the best for USB 3.0? That’s where this blog post comes in.
The USB 3.0 expansion card for your needs is the one that you are looking at, of course. In this blog post, we will discuss the best USB 3.0 expansion card for you to buy if you want a durable and reliable product that will last you many years. So read on to buy the best one for your needs.
What is a USB 3.0 Expansion Card?
When upgrading your PC, you are really interested in installing a new CPU or graphics card. A simple and cost-effective method of doing so is to use an expansion card. By adding expansion cards, a computer’s capabilities can be expanded. Your computer will run more efficiently if you add more hardware.
If you want to expand your device, USB 3.0 can be a great addition. Compared to USB 2.0, it is faster and cheaper. It adds more USB ports to your computer. As a result, more ports make the computer more powerful and allow it to connect to more hardware. USB 3.0 ports transmit data at a rate of 5 GB/s. It is compatible with any type of hardware, so any kind of hardware can be plugged into the expansion card and it will function.
Not all USB expansion cards offer the best performance. In order to get the best service, you should consider a few things before purchasing. These factors should be considered.
Best USB 3.0 Expansion Card Review
Here are some of the best USB 3.0 expansion cards that are currently available. To make them easily understandable for you, we have thoroughly reviewed them.
1. FebSmart 4 Ports USB 3.0 PCIe Card
We started with the most popular options, so FebSmart is first on our list. We have highlighted a few features for you.
- The device, which has four ports, is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, and 8. If your computer runs Windows XP or Vista, you will need to download the necessary drivers.
- This PCI 3 card provides your system with 4 USB 3.0 ports. Their service speed is astonishing at up to 5Gbps for files, photos, video and other data.
- PCIe cards were developed using self-powered technology
- Power can be connected without additional setup thanks to the technology.
- Plugging it in allows you to install it.
- Manufacturers provide one year of warranty and technical support.
- It’s easy to install
- An excellent construction job
- This package includes drivers
- Compatible only with regular PCs. Devices that are slim or mini will not work.
2. ELUTENG – PCIe USB 3.0 Card
ELUTENG’s PCIe expansion card includes four ports while requiring no additional power. Quite independent, it does a good job! Detailed information is provided below:
- Adapters supplying 2A of power are provided separately for each interface.
- 5 Gbps data transmission is possible with this amazing device.
- USB 3.0 ports on all four devices work simultaneously. You can use USB 2.0 cables as well, so they’re backward compatible.
- Short circuit protection is built into this PCIe card. Consequently, your computer is safe to use.
- Every PCIe card contains four conductive capacitors.
- There are multiple PCIe x1 – x16 and x4 – x8 configurations available.
- The only direct compatibility is with Microsoft Windows 10. Plug and play has been simplified due to this. If you are using Windows 7, Vista, or XP, then you will need to download the drivers first.
- Everything is fine
- There have been reports that some users have been experiencing difficulty with the drivers
- There isn’t a Linux support for this
3. StarTech.com USB 3.0 PCIe Card
If you want wide compatibility, this is the best card. It features four USB 3.0 ports on StarTech.com’s PCIe card. Its features are as follows:
- With this card, data can be transferred at a speed of a fifth gigabit per second.
- Both SATA and LP4 power connectors are available with the unit (optional).
- UASP is supported by this card, increasing speed by 70%.
- It is also compatible with USB 1.1 in addition to USB 2.0.
- Using a computer connected to this device, you can charge compatible Apple devices thanks to USB charging specification 1.2.
- If the product has any issues or you are unhappy with it, you canAdditionally, you will receive lifetime technical support and upgrades.
- Computers with small form factors are supported
- Compatible with multiple devices
- It is possible to use both SATA and LP4
- Getting in and out of the ports is very difficult
4. Tiergrade Superspeed USB 3.0 PCIe Expansion Card
It is possible that you do not find 4 ports adequate for your needs, so have you considered adding some more? Expansion cards such as Tiergrade Superspeed PCIe are excellent options. This device comes with 7 ports, which make it one of its most attractive features:
- The drive is powered by a SATA cable.
- The seven ports are available simultaneously. The only USB 3.0 port on each device is located at the back.
- The numbers may vary, but the amount you receive heavily depends on the hardware. Each of your ports may reach a maximum speed of five gigabits per second.
- All versions of Windows are eligible for use, as well as Windows 10, 8, and XP.
- In addition, this device supports USB 2.0.
- On the expansion card is all the hardware you need for installation. Additionally, the installation is very fast.
- The power output of each port is 5W. In cases where you have devices that require more ports, they may not work with the ports.
- Installing the program is easy
- Perfectly executed
- The simultaneous use of multiple ports has caused problems for some users
5. FebSmart USB 3.0 PCIe Card
Let’s wrap up our list with another product from FebSmart that was selected by Amazon as a Prime choice. There is only one downside: it only has 2 ports. However, if you don’t need 4 ports, you can choose this option. Keep reading to find out more.
- Powered by its own technology, the device does not require electricity to function.
- Besides Windows 10, XP, and 8, 8.1, and 7, this card also works with Windows 7.
- The transmission speed is 5 Gbps.
- ‘Windows 8.1’ and older versions of Windows can be used with this device. It just needs to be plugged in. Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows Vista drivers are required.
- Power modules and electric circuit protectors are included in a high-performance chipset.
- Warranty and technical support are provided for 1 year.
- Easy to install
- You did an excellent job
- All of the drivers are available on the CD-ROM that comes with Windows 7 and XP. Computers without CD drives are incompatible.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best USB 3.0 Expansion Card
Availability of slots
There are different number of USB expansion slots available. The number of ports can range from one to five. It is better to have more ports. A number of ports may, however, be of little use if a card isn’t powerful enough.
An expansion card with a low-quality interface has a reduced signaling strength because of its number of ports. To ensure that you have an appropriate amount of power available to your ports, make sure the expansion card’s ports are capable.
Size of the card
There is an important role played by the card’s size, and this is determined by the computer’s case size only. ATX motherboards and cases are commonly found in modern computers.
You can use any size expansion card there if you use the same thing. Purchasing a Compact Expansion Card is necessary for cases such as Mini ITX or Micro ATX.
A certain amount of power supply is needed for all your PC components, internal and external. It should go without saying that you will need power if you add a USB expansion card.
However, your entire PC can only draw a certain amount of electricity. Be sure that your PC is capable of supplying the extra power before installing a USB expansion card. If not, the PC and your USB expansion card can suffer major damage.
USB expansion cards have many other factors that can affect your PC’s performance. However, these above-mentioned points should be your primary focus.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is USB 3.0 PCI Express card?
The speed of USB 3.0 is faster than USB 2.0, so it can drastically improve performance in older computers. If you need more ports on your system, you can add or increase them with our USB 3.0 cards. Many options for adding this capability include PCI Express (PCIe), PCI, and ExpressCards.
Can I install a USB 3.0 card in my computer?
The card can’t be installed inside your laptop if it’s a PC. In place of that, you must connect an external ExpressCard USB 3.0 adapter. The USB 3.0 version is only available for older laptop models using PC Cards instead of Express Cards.
Does USB 3.0 PCI card need power?
You need an auxiliary power connector when using USB 3.0 through a PCI-E card adapter. There are usually four-pin Molex connectors or the four-pin floppy power connectors. This is essential to operate some portable devices like hard drives and keyboards (usually LED keyboards).
Can I add USB 3.0 to an older computer?
A USB 3.0 interface is likely to come with an external hard drive you’ve recently bought. As long as it is backward-compatible with USB 2.0 ports, that can work with your old desktop.
Is USB 3.0 the same as USB C?
USB type C can be connected either upside down or in either direction. In addition to USB 3.1, USB 3.0 and even USB 2.0 may be supported by USB type C ports. There is no difference between USB 3.1 Gen1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2, other than the name, as USB 3.0 is synonymous with USB 3.0 Gen 1 provides a speed of 5Gbps and USB 3.1 Gen 2 provides a speed of 10Gbps.
We hope you enjoyed our list of the best USB 3.0 expansion cards on the market. There are many factors to consider when buying a USB 3.0 expansion card for your computer, and it can be challenging to know which one is the best choice. The best USB 3.0 expansion card will depend on personal preference, but we hope you found the Best USB 3.0 expansion card that fits your needs and budget in this article. Thanks for reading.